Rubik’s cubes (or, more generally, twisty puzzles) are one of my hobbies – at one point, they were my most prominent pastime, but they’ve fallen by the wayside a little. I decided to try building a scrambling robot, so I don’t have to scramble them myself – doing it yourself tends to leave it improperly scrambled, as you start to involuntarily repeat yourself if you do it enough.

As I have a Lego mindstorms kit, I decided to use a design for a Lego cube solving robot, then reprogram it to scramble. After painstakingly assembling the Mindcuber, I put a cube in, and started the solving program to test it. It didn’t work. The cube turning mechanism is totally unreliable, and keeps flipping the cube out of the holder.

 

 

 

Advertisements